BSc (Honours) Chemistry: Simon Fraser University, Canada
Stable Alkaline Anion Exchange Membranes (AAEMs): My research includes the synthesis and characterization of stable organic-based alkaline anion exchange membranes to be used in hydroxide fuel cells as well as water electrolyzers. The current cationic groups being optimized and incorporated onto membranes are C2-protected benzimidazoliums, such as derivatives of poly(benzimidazole). These groups have been recently shown to be stable in hydroxide form and possess a large amount of potential for use in future fuel cell stacks.
List of Publications:
- Wright A. G., Fan, J.; Britton, B.; Weissbach, T.; Lee, H.-F.; Kitching, E.; Peckham, T. J.; Holdcroft, S. “Hexamethyl-p-terphenyl poly(benzimidazolium): a universal hydroxide-conducting polymer for energy conversion devices”, Energ. Environ. Sci., 9 (6) (2016) 2130–2142.
- Wright, A. G.; Weissbach, T.; Holdcroft, S. “Poly(phenylene) and m-Terphenyl as Powerful Protecting Groups for the Preparation of Stable Organic Hydroxides“ Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55 (15), 4818–4821.
- Wright, A. G.; Holdcroft, S. “Hydroxide-stable Ionenes“, ACS Macro Lett. 2014, 3 (5), 444–447.
Selected Oral Presentations:
- "Polymer Design of Sterically-Protected Anion Exchange Membranes", Current Status and Future Prospect of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells, Pacifichem 2015, Honolulu, HI, Dec. 17, 2015.
- "Polymer Design of Sterically-protected Anion Exchange Membranes", Ionic Liquids in Polymer Design: From Energy to Health, 250th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Boston, MA, Aug. 20, 2015.
- "The Study of Hydroxide-stable Poly(benzimidazolium) Materials for Use in Hydrogen Fuel Cells", Polymers for Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion Symposium of the Macromolecular Science and Engineering Division, 97th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition, Vancouver, BC, June 5, 2014.
Selected Poster Presentations:
- Wright, A. G.; Fan, J.; Weissbach, T.; Lee, H. F.; Kitching, E.; Peckham, T. J.; Holdcroft, S. “Polymer Design of Sterically-Protected Anion Exchange Membranes”, Pacifichem 2015, Chemistry of Clean Energy Conversion, Storage, and Production, Honolulu, HI, Dec. 15, 2015.
- Wright, A. G.; Fan, J.; Weissbach, T.; Lee, H. F.; Kitching, E.; Peckham, T. J.; Holdcroft, S. "Up-scaled Synthesis and Membrane Properties of HMT-PMBI", Workshop on Ion Exchange Membranes for Energy Applications (EMEA), Bad Zwischenahn, Germany, June 22, 2015.
- Wright, A. G.; Holdcroft, S. "Hydroxide-Stable Ionenes", Fuel Cells, Gordon Research Seminar and Conference in Bryant University, Providence, RI, Aug. 2-4, 2014.
- Winner of the Pacifichem 2015 Poster Competition, Chemistry of Clean Energy Conversion, Storage, and Production, Honolulu, HI, Dec. 15, 2015.